Faculty of Law
Dean: Prof. dr. Michel Tison
The Faculty of Law is one of the 4 founding faculties of the Ghent University. It is located in the Universiteitstraat, where the University was founded in 1817. (The first part of the Faculty history - up to 1940 - was published in August 2009. See here for more details (in Dutch).)
The Faculty provides academic teaching and services based on innovative scientific research.
In 2013-14 more than 3,500 students studied at the Faculty of Law, in either the Law programma, the Criminology programme or the programmes of further education.
The education within these programmes is supported by the innovative scientific research performed within the 3 faculty departments encompassing all possible disciplines within the fields of law and criminological sciences. These departments, often divided into institutes and/or research groups, are supported by 4 faculty offices.