Noel Klima is IDC Research Coordinator at Ghent University’s IDC consortium ‘Crime, Criminology & Criminal Policy’ based at the Institute for International Research on Criminal Policy (IRCP), Faculty of Law & Criminology & Social Law at Ghent University in Belgium. He is Member of PIXLES and UGent focal point Horizon 2020 SC7 Secure Societies.
Before he was Programme Management Officer at the United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute – UNICRI in Rome, Italy. He was also working several years for the Belgian Federal Public Service Home Affairs, DG Security and Prevention as Deputy Head of the Unit Radicalism in Brussels. Noel Klima also served as Coordinator of the Secretariat of the European Crime Prevention Network (EUCPN) and has long experience as scientific researcher and post-doctoral researcher at IRCP.
Noel Klima received his PhD in Criminology and Master’s degree in European Criminology and Criminal Justice Systems from Ghent University and studied law at the Westfälische Wilhelms-University Münster (DE), University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne (FR) and Radboud University Nijmegen (NL). Noel Klima is a certified ISO 31000 Risk Management Professional and Trainer.
Selected societal impact activities
- 2019-2022 – Co-promotor – CaST – Communities and Students Together, Erasmus+ 2019 Key Action 2 Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education
- 2015-2016 – Project manager FPS Home Affairs – Syria Strategic Communication Advisory Team (SSCAT), ISF Programme European Commission
- 2011-2016 –Programme Management Officer UNICRI – Disengagement and Rehabilitation of Violent Extremists and Terrorists, U.S. Department of State
- 2019 – Ghent – European Society of Criminology conference (member scientific committee)
- 2016 – Rome – Partnership forum for action on the 2030 agenda for sustainable development: goal 16, UNICRI’s cross-thematic and system-wide approach to the SDGs (panel chair ‘Justice and Dignity’)
- 2014 – Brussels – EU conference Strengthening Resilience Against Violent Radicalization, (organizer)
- (Security) Research policy and impact
- Risk management
- 2013-2015 – Strenghthening Resilience against Violent Radicalisation (STRESAVIORA), ISEC Programme European Commission (project coordinator FPS Home Affairs)
- 2011-2014 – Towards a European Centre of Expertise on Crime Prevention, ISEC Programme European Commission (project coordinator FPS Home Affairs)
- 2008-2011 – DANGER – Appraising the dangerousness of organized crime‚ Society and Future Programme Belgian Federal Science Policy (researcher and project manager)
- Klima, N., & Dal Santo, E. (2018). UNICRI’s program on rehabilitation and reintegration of violent extremist offenders: program development pathways. Strengthening efforts to prevent and counter violent extremism : good practices and lessons learned for a comprehensive approach to rehabilitation and reintegration of violent extremists offenders (pp. 15–24). Turin: UNICRI
- Klima, N., & Wijckmans, B. (2014). European Crime Prevention Network (EUCPN): crime prevention activities at the EU, national and local level. In M. Coester & E. Marks (eds.), International perspectives of crime prevention (Vol. 6, pp. 67–88). Godesberg: Forum Verlag Godesberg.
- Vander Beken, T., Paoli, L., Zoutendijk, A., & Klima, N. (2012). Appraising the dangerousness of organized crime. Gent: Academia Press. (168p)