Pieter Leloup holds a PhD in Criminology (Free University of Brussels – Ghent University, 2019), a Master’s degree in History (Ghent University, 2009) and Criminology (Ghent University, 2012), and a Minor degree in Political Science (Ghent University, 2009).
The principal focus of his work has been on historical patterns of (private) security provision and changing relationships between state and private security actors in Belgium since the nineteenth century until today. In 2019 he finished a PhD on the history of the private security industry in Belgium between 1907 and 1990. From October 1, 2019, he will start as a Postdoctoral Fellow of the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) at Ghent University on a project titled ‘Private security in Belgium, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom: A cross-national comparative analysis of late modern policy trends in a Continental European and Anglo-American context’.
He has been a visiting lecturer for the ‘Crime, Law and History’ course at the University of Sheffield, UK. Since 2017, he is also a member of the International advisory board for Policing and Society. An International Journal of Research and Policy.
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TELEPHONE SECRETARIAT: +32 9 264 69 30
- ADRESS: Universiteitstraat 4, Ghent, Belgium
- ORCID: 0000-0002-9982-3116
Selected societal impact activities
- 17-18/01/2019 – Leeds – Everyday Political Economies of Plural Policing Conference
- 3/09/2018 – London – History and Policy seminars, Home Office series
- 10-11/07/2017 – Leeds – Private Security and the Modern State Conference
- Historical criminology
- Private security
- 2015-2019 – The development of the private security industry in Belgium (1907-1990): A historical-criminological perspective on contemporary changes in security and crime control
- 2019-2022 – Postdoctoral project – Private security in Belgium, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom: A cross-national comparative analysis of late modern policy trends in a Continental European and Anglo-American context
- Churchill, D., Janiewski, D. & and Leloup, P. (Eds.). (Forthcoming). Private Security and the Modern State: Historical and Comparative Perspectives. London-New York: Routledge.
- Leloup, P. (2019). A historical perspective on crime control and private security : a Belgian case study. Policing and Society, 29(5), 1–15
- Leloup, P. (2015). The private security industry in Antwerp (1907-1934) : a historical-criminological analysis of its modus operandi and growth. Crime, Histoire et Sociétés, 19(2), 119–147